Setting up Windows 95 for DigiComm Access
NOTE: You may need Windows 95 installation media (floppies or CD-ROM)
so be sure you have them handy before you begin.
PART I: Setting up TCP/IP services:
- Click on Start, select Settings then Control Panel.
- Double click on the Network icon.
NOTE: If you already have Client for Microsoft Networks, TCP/IP and a
Dialup Adapter installed, skip to PART II.
- Click the Add button.
- Click Adapter in the "Select Network Component Type" window then click Add.
- Select Microsoft, under Manufacturers, and Dialup Adapter under Network adapters, then click on OK.
- Click on Add from the Control Panel's Network window again.
- Click Protocol in the "Select Network Component Type" window then click Add.
- Select Microsoft under Manufacturers and TCP/IP under Protocols, then click on OK.
- Click on Add from the Control Panel's Network window once again.
- Click Client in the "Select Network Component Type" window then click Add.
- Select Microsoft under Manufacturers and Client for Microsoft Networks under Network Clients, then click on OK.
- When the system prompts you to restart the system select Yes.
NOTE: If you are not using NetBEUI or IPX/SPX for a LAN you can delete these
protocols if you like, otherwise just leave them there.
PART II: Setting up the dialup connection:
- Double click on My Computer.
- Double click on "Dial-up Networking".
- If you don't have a "Dial-up Networking" Icon, install the Dialup Networking portion of Windows 95 as follows:
A. Click Start->Settings->Control panel
B. Double click Add/Remove programs
C. Click Windows Setup tab, click Communications, click Details
D. Click the Dial-up Networking check box, click OK, click OK
E. Insert disk or CD ROM if necessary, click OK
F. Double click My Computer, double click Dial-up Networking
- Double click on "Make New Connection"
- Name it DigiComm, then click next.
- Enter 645-9199 for dialup number.
- It is not necessary to enter your area code unless you need it for local calls to Page.
- Click next and finish.
- You now have a "DigiComm" icon.
- Click the right mouse button on the "DigiComm" icon, select Properties.
- Under the Phone Number box, remove the check box from
"Use country code and area code".
- Click on "Server Type".
- Make sure type of Dial-up Server type is "PPP....Internet"
- In Advanced Options, remove the check boxes from "Log on to network", "NetBEUI", "IPX/SPX",
and "Require Encruypted Password".
--> TCP/IP needs to have a checked box. <--
Leave 'Enable Software Compression' enabled.
- Click on TCP/IP Settings.
- Select server assigned IP address.
- Select server assigned name server address.
- Select 'Use IP header Compression' and 'Use Default Gateway'
- Click OK, OK, and OK.
PART III: Connecting to the Internet!!!!
- Double click on the DigiComm connection icon you have just created.
- Enter your username and password. Your username is all one word, lower case, with no spaces.
Your password will not show, so type it very carefully.
Your password must be entered exactly, the case of the letters is important.
- Click on connect. If you have entered the information correctly, your modem will dial and you will connect.
If you make a mistake Windows will give you an error, try connecting again,
be sure to enter the correct password.